"Johnson, David" wrote:

> I don't know about the UL specifications, but CAT5 is not rated at
> 1,000mbps.  It may work, but there will be no guarantee.  CAT5 is designed
> to be rock-solid at up to 100mbps.  If you want 1000baseT, you'll need to
> bump up to CAT5e or CAT6 (the latter is VERY expensive) otherwise, you take
> your chances.

Tuan:
"UL Type CM/MP" _probably_ refers to the type of construction,
insulation, materials, etc., and _not_ to its transmission properties.
UL's primary interest is in safety and fire prevention. For example,
other CAT5 cables may be listed with different types depending on the
intended usage. One type may be suitable for usage out of doors, another
in high temperature environments, another in environments were chemical
attack may be of concern, and yet another may be restricted to equipment
enclosures. (I have some experience with UL standards for power wiring,
so I could be wrong...)
Regards,
Carroll