Subject: Re: [newbie] text issues
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 11:55:45 +0000
From: Derek Jennings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

There are a couple of things you can do to improve font rendering (I am
assuming you are using LM8.1)

1/ Import your fonts from your Microsoft partition if you have one.
Control Centre > System > Fonts > get Windows Fonts
For legal reasons Mandrake are not allowed to ship coyrighted fonts, so the
windows ones are generally better.

2/ Enable anti aliasing in kde      Look N Feel > Fonts

3/ Go to http://elektron.its.tudelft.nl/~rbos36/mdkfreetype2.html
where a kind person has posted an RPM of the freetype fonts that come with
Mandrake with Byte Code Interpreting enabled.
Mandrake ships with BCI disabled for legal reasons

4/ I noticed with 8.0 that fonts appearance could be improved by careful
selection of font size. Some sizes looked crummy while the next size up would
look fine. Can't say I've noticed that with 8.1 however.

My fonts look great  :-) I mostly use Tahoma  (A microsoft font)

HTH