Hi everyone, I've been having a few problems trying to compile the modules
that I want from the kernel-source-2.4.8-26mdk.i586.rpm supplied with 8.1.
I'm using gcc2.96 and can get through compiling the kernel ok, but not any of
the modules. The only way I could get all the features I wanted was by
compiling a monolithic kernel which is not what I'm looking for.
 These are the sorts of errors I was getting;

  field `loops_per_jiffy_R_ver_str' declared as a function
  nondigits in number and not hexadecimal (lots of these)
  parse error before `65dda927'
  missing white space after number `7e9'  etc,etc.....

for each and every module (except I think agpgart). I think I have all the
relevant source files in place and have tried using gcc3.0 and the egcs
compiler without success on 'make modules'. I've tried umpteen times deleting
the whole source and reinstalling from the rpm and still the same.  It's
strange because I downloaded the 2.4.13 kernel source and tried it and
managed to compile the kernel and modules without any bother, only to find
that there was no ext3 support included.

 Anyone got any ideas or suggestions to help me compile the modules from
kernel-source-2.4.8-26mdk.i586.rpm for my Athlon and where I might be going
wrong ?