On Thu, 1 Nov 2001 17:23:55 +0200, "Mohammed Arafa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> any xp pc with web services enabled for remote access can be accessed with
> http://ip/tsweb/
> it will give u the xp logon screen.
>
> my question is ..is it safe? coz altho i m pro linux , the workstations are
> m$ territory n the organisation is thinking of upgrading from nt to xp.
> are there any articles or security warning regarding this?
>
> thx

Mandrake has had this sort of feature for quite some time through Webmin. Webmin
uses HTTPS, the secure form of HTTP. Using HTTP (not HTTPS) alone, which XP does
(according to your post) is VERY insecure. Nothing is encrypted or protected in
any way. Things like passwords would be passed over the Internet in plain text.
This, combined with the XP feature of being able to be controlled remotely
(something that X has been able to do since the beginning, and securely too), is
a MAJOR security risk.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

        "I once preached peaceful coexistence with Windows.
        You may laugh at my expense -- I deserve it."
                -- Jean-Louis Gassée, founder of BeOS