>I went round in circles trying to get fetchmail and procmail to deliver my
>mail to the appropriate accounts (different users).  Got sick of coming up
>with error messages - generally a permissions thing not being able to
>write to another user's file.  Anyway I ended up using getmail as someone
>? else has (above).  getmail is much easier to setup for different users
>and you can get the desired result running it as user, not root.

Yup. That is why I like getmail so much too. I just pulled 2.1.6 which has a
few minor bugfixes. (I am someone?else ;)

>Everything you need to know about getmail can be found at
>http://www.qcc.sk.ca/~charlesc/software/getmail-2.0/docs.html where you'll
>also find a straightforward example getmailrc file.

I sent a mail to Charles about how I set up procmail to work with the mboxes.
It's so simple when you find it:

pull mail into an mbox (e.g. $HOME/newmail/newmails
Then use formail to shove the mails to procmail one by one:

formail < $HOME/newmail/newmails -s procmail -m $HOME/.procmailrc

After that step (and making sure things worked first!!) you can delete the
'newmails' file and 'touch' a clean one (at least the older version of getmail
would collapse if it couldn't find an existing file to write to).
I stuck that in the script which pulls my mail through cron. Works great!

If anyone is interested in the entire script, let me know. I put some checks
in it to make sure mail-pulls are done only once (failsafe for the occasional
commandline run) and a security net for when something goes wrong after
checking mail.

Paul

--
It is better to have loved and lost,
then never to have loved at all

http://nlpagan.net - Registered Linux User 174403
Linux Mandrake 8.0 - Sylpheed 0.6.3 claws
Open Source, Open Minds. Linux.