As long as you don't run everything as root, or change the ownership of all
your files to a common user, you should be safe. Linux is not vulnerable like
Windows due to a bit of common sense during the design stage. Note that
Macintosh systems are not as vulnerable as Windows either. The MS way of
thinking is "If you can't make it good, make it look good." They don't care
what goes in the box, as long as the box is pretty and will make them a quick
buck.
        Security is very important in the Linux world. A lot of effort goes into
making sure that the programs you use are secure and are not easily
exploitable. Developers help this effort by making their program open source
so that others may review their code and find any trouble spots that they may
have overlooked.
        That being said, Linux is vulnerable to other types of security problems,
but there are a lot of things that you can do to ensure that your system and
your data remains safe such as disabling any services you don't use, using a
firewall, etc. A lot more options than I can go over here and you were asking
about antivirus software and not security in general anyway.

-Gary