I run an AMD 850MHz box that I built myself.  I used a FIC motherboard
and 512 MB ram.  Used my old modem an action tec PCI and it had built in
audio.  I still dual boot (trying to remedy that) and everything works
better and faster in Mandrake than in winblows.  The video is better,
speed is excellant.  I did use a front case fan, a PCI slot fan and a
rear case fan, as well as the fan that came with my AMD chip.  I don't
believe I will go back to Intel.  It's a Duron chip by the way.  Just my
2 cents worth.  Maureen