On Thursday 08 November 2001 09:04 am, Anthony (¦w±e¥¿) wrote:
> Actually, I think if you stick to command line mode 24MB should be
> adequate. It's the eye candy that really demands all that memory.
>
> Anthony

   Nope, IRRC, it's got more to do with havin enough ram to kick
start the necessary ramdisk, 32 mb min for Mandrake.  Spartan Linux
distros could of course do with less. IIRC, my first (floppy) Linux
version ran on 4mb ram.  But that was before my time ;>

('man mkinitrd')
" mkinitrd  creates  filesystem images which are suitable for use as
Linux initial ramdisk (initrd) images. Such images are often used
for preloading the block device  modules  (such as IDE, SCSI or RAID)
which are needed to access the root filesystem ..............  "

I should'a stayed out'a this ...  I've had at least 128mb for years,
    overclocked ;)
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Galveston Bay, USA
           chmod +x /bin/Laden.al-Qaeda.Taliban