On Sun, 28 Oct 2001 20:04:13 -0600, Steven Spears <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> I've install 8.1 and have pretty good luck except for a few disappointing
> things. I'm having problems writing to my windows partion from within Linux.
> I've done nothing different than I did in 8.0 and it just doesn't seem to
> work. I have to be root to do it. I'm part of the root group, so it should
> let me in, right?

You're part of the root group? I hope you realise that in doing so you are
circumventing the best security measure that GNU/Linux has to offer. Being part
of the root group is esssentially the same as being root, which is no better
than using single-user OSs like Windows.

Now back to your problem...

If the filesystem is mounted, then you should be able to write with it. If not,
try using the umask mount variable. For more info, type "man mount".

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

"Ok, the guy who made the netfilter Makefile was probably on some really
interesting and probably highly illegal drugs when he wrote it."
                        -- Linus Torvalds