On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 16:13, Paul wrote:
|  Hi folks,
|
|  Perhaps this is of help to someone:
|  I was futzing with procmail to sort the incoming mail, redirect
| something and so on. But even when a few weeks back this appeared to
| work, it did not anymore (changed a few things in .procmailrc and
| thought that was the wrong thing).
|
|  Less is true!
|  1. I changed providers. The old one let me pull mail through
|  SMTP/postfix/mailkicks, the new one does not.
|  2. I do not use fetchmail but getmail. And getmail puts files directly
| in the mbox where you tell it. Mail does not run through postfix, so not
| through procmail. Duh...
|
|  What I do now (which works):
|  Use getmail to put mail in $HOME/mail/paul
|  Run formail to disect incoming mail and push it through procmail:
|
|  formail < $HOME/mail/paul -s procmail -m $HOME/.procmailrc
|
|  Which works fine. Then, as a safety catch, I make backup copies of the
| last 2 pulled mail-loads.
|  That's all. It took me a while before I noticed that I had to use
| formail. Told you I was dumb ;)
|  Paul

Paul,
thanks for sharing that info and your experiences.  I have been tinkering
with my mail retrieval over the last few days and had not even looked into
getmail.  Now I'm curious.  I'll look for some docs on getmail.  Thanks
again.

skinky
--
But what ... is it good for?
(Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968,