Ok, I have read your post, I will see what I can find out..

you didn't run msec at any stage and increase the security level did you?

if you did, that would explain alot..

try lowering it to 3 and see what happens..

that has fixed things for me before..

it may also explain why your sockets not working any more..

msec does some weird shit, like changing heaps of permissions (file and
directory), deleting files,
closing access to nearly everything via tcpwrappers and some other stuff I
haven't figured out yet.

I don't use msec anymore, close everything myself, it has caused to much
hassle and is too poorly documented to be of any use I think.

If anything is in need of a mandrake forum or user write up, then msec is
definatly it. (there may be one, but I have not found it.)

rgds

Frank