Well there could be any number of reasons but heres a few ideas to check out.

On Sunday 04 November 2001 14:22, antoine rivoire wrote:
> hi all,
> i am trying to set up ssh and nfs.
> i have 3 boxes:
> 1 gateway, diskless machine running floppyfw
> 1 p120 in the living room running lm8.1
> 1 celeron2 1.1ghz in my "studio"(sounds a bit pretencious?) running lm8.1
> the 2 machine are on the network and connect to the net
>
> i can ping the p120 from the celeron, but not the other way round. would it
> be bastille's "fault"?

Sure could. Try stopping iptables/ipchains/Bastille
If portsentry is running try stopping it

> i can see shared directories from the celeron box, but (obviously) not the
> other way round. how can i make the celeron box visible on the network?

Are nfs and nfslock are running on both machines?
Do you have port mapper running on both machines?

Is your fstab defined correctly? Here is what mine looks like

VAIO:/home/derek  /mnt/derekvaio  nfs
intr,soft,user,noauto,rsize=8192,wsize=8192  0  0

Are your hosts in the hosts tables?
Are your hosts in your hosts.allow table? Are they excluded by the hosts.deny
table?
Are you using DHCP or static addressing? Static is probably easier to work
with.