Neil

I don't have the BTOpenworld service (NTL Cable is a breeze), so I cannot
help directly, but just in case you do not get any first hand help from this
list you might have luck with the linux-usb pages at
http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/

Do a search on Alcatel and you will get a list of posts from people having
trouble like youself, and with success stories. There is one guy in
particular

Brian Jones
(brianjjones at pobox.com)

He has managed to get it working with Mandrake 8.1. If he has put his mail
address on the list, I am sure he would not mind corresponding about it :-)

Good luck
Derek