On Monday 12 November 2001 09:03 am, Ivan Miranda wrote:
> Hi all,
>         I had Just installed LM8.1 from a LM DVD on DELL optiplex
> GX110,everything seems fine except the sound.When i try to play Mp3
> file with Xmms,i get sound in breaks and distorted.....looks like
> the Devfs has not configured the sound card properly.What i have is
> an i810 intel audio Ac97 codec.How can i disable Devfs  and check
> whether my sound card is getting configured properly.This sound
> card was worlking perfectly witth LM8.0

   In either grub's menu.lst or lilo's lilo.conf, depending on which
one you're using, change the  devfs=mount   to   devfs=nomount
In lilo's case, you'll then need to run 'lilo' as root and re-boot to
make the change effective.  In grub's case, you just need to re-boot.

    As to your sound, I'm using the same ac97 chip and 8.1 with devfs
enabled and the ac97 works great. Was automagically configured during
install.  I did change the slider in Control Center | Sound | Sound
Server, Sound IO tab  over to the left to increase cpu usage and
improve sound quality.  But I've got'a 1.55ghz Tbird.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Galveston Bay, USA
 chmod +x  --with -daisy_cutters /bin/Laden.al-Qaeda.Taliban