Hi all

I have LM 8.1 setup with an adsl connection networked and sharing the net
connection to 2 win machines.  I'm having problems setting up samba and
firewalling and ftp services properly.

1) How can I tell which processes are running... I have read about samba and
learn that it doesn't necessarily start up auto at boot time.. how can I
tell whether it is running somewhere in the background?  Also, when I try to
test it the localhost doesn't seem to be setup correctly.. it's unknown..
omg.. how can localhost be unknown?  but it is.. what have I done wrong
here..

2) this relates to number 1 in the sense that I have plenty of ways of
configuring a 'firewall' available to me however I don't know which firewall
is being used (whether more than 1 is actually running?!) etc.. I just
installed the whole of LM with all options ticked when I installed it and
notice that it says starting bastille firewall as it boots up.. again, which
one is being used and how can i tell ?  (any suggestions for which firewall
would be best accepted thankfully!)

3) I have full web and ftp services.. and while I'm happy(ish) with the web
hosting (although it hasn't been tested as being  crack proof - and no doubt
isn't with current settings!) I am definitely NOT happy with the ftp
setting.. AGAIN, how can I tell which ftp proggy is giving the box the ftp
service?  I can ftp in from a remote comp, however, if i use a user account
on the LM box as the login then I can literally go round the whole file
system.. eek.. i don't want this.. instead some way of making it only
present a folder or two of my choosing would be safer..

I know it's a lot to ask of this list.. and it's a long email to read (made
even longer by these few words).. but if i can get some help here it would
be much appreciated as I really want to use linux (apache etc) instead of
IIS <spits to one side>

Neil

[EMAIL PROTECTED]