Hi,

First and foremost, I would like to apologise for the lengthy mail,
but I am sure those that are willing to help me will find the info.
important. Please note that there may be some incorrections because
I am on another location/machine at the moment and am writing this from
some notes I took at the time.

I am newbie at Linux/Unix and attempted to install Mandrake Liniux 8.1 on a
AMD 200+ with 64 Mbytes of RAM and two volumes (4 and 1.5 Giba
respectivelly).
On volume 1 I had (have?) a:
 a) Dos partition of 100 MBytes (for booting)
 b) FAT 32 w/ Win95 (+/- 2G)
 c) NTFS (a little less than  2G)
On volume 2 is:
 a) Free for Linux (/dev/hdb)

I have had some trouble on boot issues (explained in another e-mail) and am
now
attempting to install my sound card. Just in case this helps: I also
installed a HP Deskject
printer which was correctly set-up and is functioning. The S3 Video card was
correctlly
detected (!!), installed and is running. The monitor (SAMTRON 95P Plus) was
not listed so I
used a high freq. SVGA  set-up and this seems to work fine. On install I had
an IOMega Zip
drive connected between the LPT1 and the printer. The install indicated a
detection of an
IMM SCSI and asked if I had any more (answered no because I only have a two
port IDE).
The modem was correctly installed and seems to be working fine. I still need
to configure
the mail clients before all is ok at the network end (hence the need to send
e-mail via another
machine).

Several problems seem to be festering:
1) During the boot-up, some indications of DMA time-out when accessing
/dev/hdb are
showing. The machine seems to react very sluggishly, don't know if it is
this.
2) The modules file (sorry don't recall the /etc/'s file name) shows two
SCSI adapters
(sda1 and sda6) if I remember correctly.
3.) Mandrake's control center shows the detection of 2 unknown devices. This
seems to be
related to the sound card.
4.) The sound card doesn't work.
5.) OpenGL screen savers don't work.

After some reading I am aware that two steps exist to handle installation of
devices:
a) The detection of the devices (PnP and the isapnptools)
b) The instalation of the modules (drivers in win-speak?) with the
{xxx}mode{xxx}
routines like  insmod and modeprobe.

What happened:
The install seemd to detect the sound card correctly (OPTi PnP card). When I
launch
Mandrakes control center, the sound cards listed in the hardware section
show two entries:
1) the sound card: vendor unkown, module "mad16"
2) the MPU401: vendor unkown and modeule unkown.

When I select the card, attempt to alter the IRQ's and DMA as per Win95
configuration,
the configuration application gives the following error:
 modprobe: can't locate module isa-pnp.

The detection seems to have worked fine save for two unkown entries. When I
attempt to
install the modules as follows:
 modprobe -v mad16
I get the follwing error:
 hint:insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
IO or IRQ
 parameters.

When I look at the /etc/isapnp.gone file I see all the lines with IRQ and
DMA cahnnel
data commented. The /etc/isapnp.conf seems to be very confusing.

Question: How should I proceed to corrcet the sound card installation?
Should I attempt a new
detection (isapnp?), change parameters (in the "/etc/isapnp.conf") or
attempt installing the modules
in a different manner (how?).

TIA.
Hugo