On Tuesday 13 November 2001 01:41, you wrote:
> i'm trying to create a new user in postgres (createuser [user]), but when
> logged in as root or any other user, i get "permission denied".  i tried to
> "su postgres", but it prompts me for the password, which seems to have been
> set by default by mandrake.  does anyone know what it is?  if i log in as
> root and 1) change the password or 2) remove the postgres user and create a
> new one with a new password, will the postgres startup service still work?
>

> thank you very much,
>
> a linux and postgres newbie...

Hi tek1!

I sure hope you'll get better help than this! (I'm going through the learning
curve for Postgresql from LM8.0).

I'll be using PostgreSQL with Linux-Kontor (an accounting package), and the
install instructions for Postgresql are fairly clear. You might want to check
them out.

Anyway, while as root user, change the password for the user "postgres" --
then exit the root shell.

su postgres   [use your new password when it prompts you]

To answer your questions:
1) I've done it, and the postgres startup service still seems to work (though
I'm having all sorts of probs with postmaster and its refusal to accept
connection in the gui Postgresql Access.

2) Hopefully?? Check out the Newbie Mail Archive: RE:[ newbie] postgresql.
There were an articleson what you were asking.

Wish I could help more . . .
Andre

--
Please pray the Holy Rosary to end the holocaust of abortion and terrorism.
For a free Cenacle Scriptural Rosary Booklet -- http://www.webhart.net/csrb/