Linux runs fine on the Dell 4000 Notebook that I have. I bought it to
run WinXP but it shipped with WinME on it and I couldn't stand that so I
installed Mandrake and RH on there in the meantime just to see if they
would work. This was Mandrake 8.1 and RH 7.2. Everything ran fine.

Also check Slashdot.com, a recent story asked the same question about
Linux compatible laptops yesterday or two days ago.