I just wanted to let you know about the CD-RW question. I tried writing at
24x with a regular CD-R and got garbage. I have to slow down the speed to 8x
so that it will work. By comparison the old HP external would still take an
hour to write to a full CD-R.

I still can't get Linux to burn a CD with either eRoaster or gToaster. I
wrote once and it seemed alright but then nothing but coasters and wind
chimes. I am going to try another program I believe it is called Xroaster.
Both programs seem to crash just before I click burn. No error message just
everything closes. I uninstalled and reinstalled. I went and picked up the
latest version but still get them to crash.

Just to keep in the know.