Anyone else having trouble with configure in 8.1?

I cannot get through ./configure with any application that requires QT
I get an error message

"checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 2.2.2) (libraries) not found.
Please check your installation!"

I have tried with 3 different sets of source files.

I have libqt2-2.3.1-14mdk,  and libqt2-devel-2.3.1-14mdk loaded, and have
tried defining --with-qt-libraries  variable in configure

I have tried with gcc-2.96 and gcc-3.01, no difference

Is there something else I should have loaded?

Derek