At 11:52 AM 11/19/2001 +0800, you wrote:
>Hi All People,
>
>I am going to build  apache + php 4 + mod_ss  on Mandrake 8.1 to experience
>their installation and configuration and expecting to receive some advice
>from the list.
>
>I found follwoing components in the CDs.
>
>MM_VERSION=mm-1.1.3-1.i386.RPM
>
>APACHE_VERSION=apache_1.3.20-16.i386.RPM
>
>OPENSSL_VERSION=openssl-0.9.6b-8.i386.RPM
>
>MODSSL_VERSION=mod_ssl-2.8.4-9.i386.RPM
>
>MYSQL_VERSION=mysql-3.23.41-1.i386.RPM
>
>PHP_VERSION=php-4.0.6-7.i386.RPM
>
>IMAP_VERSION=imap-2000c-15.i386.RPM
>
>MODPERL_VERSION=mod_perl-1.24_01-3.i386.RPM
>
>I suppose all of them being necessary for my application.  If I am wrong
>please correct me, thanks.  Any missing ?
>

>My questions are :
>
>1) I selected standard installation of Mandrake.  I am not quite sure
>whether some of them having been installed.  How to check them ?

do an 'rpm -q packagename' from the command line for each package you want
to check on.

>2) To install those components which should come first
This depends on what kinds of dependencies each package has.  Basically,
put all the rpms you need in a single directory by themselves and do an
'rpm -ivh *.rpm' from the command line.

>3) Installation starts from KDE Application --> System --> Package Manager
>or RPM each of them in Console Window.  Which will be more convenient ?

I've found doing these things from the console window (command line) is
much more informative.

>4) To configure those components to make the server works.  Which of them
>should be configured first.
You should not have to configure anything (unless you've got virtualhosts,
aliases, etc that you want to add).  I've got an 8.1 testbox, and the
entire set was ready to go as soon as I booted into it the first time.

>5) Are their configuration guides in the Man file or some other place.

The docs can either be found from your local hard drive or from the
following websites:

Apache = http://www.apache.org
OpenSSL = http://www.openssl.org
Mod SSL = http://www.modssl.org
MySQL = http://www.mysql.com
PHP = http://www.php.net

(not sure where the mm, modperl, and imap websites are, use google or try
http://www.linuxdoc.org)

>6) What are the difference between openssl-0.9.6b-8.i386.RPM and
>openssh-server-2.9p2-7.i386.rpm

openssl:

The openssl certificate management tool and the shared libraries that provide
various encryption and decription algorithms and protocols, including DES,
RC4,
RSA and SSL. (basically, openssl provides encryption libraries for use with
various other programs--in and of itself, it is not very useful).

openssh-server:
--
Ssh (Secure Shell) a program for logging into a remote machine and for
executing commands in a remote machine.  It is intended to replace

OpenSSH is OpenBSD's rework of the last free version of SSH, bringing it
up to date in terms of security and features, as well as removing all
patented algorithms to separate libraries (OpenSSL).

This package contains the secure shell daemon. The sshd is the server
part of the secure shell protocol and allows ssh clients to connect to
your host.
--
By the way, the above descriptions came straight from doing an 'rpm -qi
<packagename>' from the command line.  If you aren't sure what a particular

Michael

--
Michael Viron
Registered Linux User #81978