Eh, both.

Make sure ALL of the alsa related RPM's are installed from the CD's. By
default many RPM's are skipped.

Make sure you have AUXMIX installed (it appears in "Multimedia").

Set up your sound from within the MANDRAKE CONTROL panel. Only resort to
sndconfig if you can't get very far.

You might want to search for the info I posted on configuring the SBLIVE
cards...

-JMS