On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, Dennis Myers wrote:

> On Sunday 18 November 2001 16:27, you wrote:
> > I am using for quite a while LM. Personally I like
> > Mandrake a lot, but I have been open toward other
> > distributions also.
> > It looks to me that the most popular distributions
> > (imho) are:
> > 1. Mandrake
> > 2. Suse

Dennis:

I work at a large insurance carrier in the US and also do work for several
ISP's.  I can tell you the breakdown is as follows:

Servers:  Almost always Red Hat.  The alliance with IBM and the support
offerings have made Red Hat easier to get into the Enterprise.  Red Hat
has done a good job to provide administration tools, yet still allow you
to tweak the OS as much as you need.

Desktop:  Here is where I am seeing Mandrake shine.  People I work with
who would never consider Linux before beg to have me install Mandrake for
them.  That can be good and bad.  Good because I have always liked the
Mandrake distro, bad because they sit and play with my good lap top all
day.  I was finally able to find Mandrake 8.1 Power Pack in the stores
this weekend and I am happy to say I installed it in 30 minutes on my HP
OmniBook 6000 lap top.  To the crew at Mandrake you did an EXCELLENT JOB.

As for Suse, it is a nice distro, and we have considered it here for
running Oracle, but the biggest complaint I hear about them is the
interface, especially during install.

I have run all 3 of them.  Currently I have Red Hat 7.2 on one machine,
Mandrake 8.0 on another, Mandrake 8.1 on my lap top and I use Red Hat 7.1
on my server.

Bottom line is, you might have to try each one and decided what is most
comfortable for YOU.  Me, I prefer Red Hat on my servers and Mandrake on
my desktop.  The best part is, you can download and try each one, then I
HIGHLY encourage you when you pick the one you like to SUPPORT them and go
and purchase the CD pack.

-Scott