Randy,

Yup, that sure is very interesting!   My original
comment was driven by my admiration of the underlying
strength of Unix - that you have extremely efficient
programs that do what they do very well and then you
link them together dynamically (e.g. pipes) to do
difficult things easily.  Squid is an example of a
program that does one thing (http proxy serving) very
well.  I don't have direct experience with Apache, but
I understand it's a great web server.  So the Unix
philosophy suggests to me that if you want to do both,
you use both - each doing what they do best.

Lee's original question was that, as Apache could also
do proxy serving, should he use it instead of Squid.
However, he only wanted to use it as a proxy server -
which is why we said he should use Squid.

In my mind, adding proxy serving to Apache was an
unnecessary waste of programming time.  Have they
compromised it's web serving greatness by making it do
more than it needs to do?  Isn't that the path to
bloatware?

I could go on, but will spare you (ever had to reboot
Windows just because IE had a crash? - oops, I said
I'd spare you - sorry ;-))

I hope someone here can give you some hints as to how
to best achieve what you want to do.   It *is* an
interesting question you pose and one, I'm sure, that
will have interesting (and multiple) solutions (sigh -
one just wants time to play with these things!!!)

Good luck - and thanks for making this interesting.
Looking forward to the creative solutions!

Ron.

--- Randy Kramer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ron Bouwhuis wrote:
> > --- Sridhar Dhanapalan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > > Apache is primarily a web server; Squid is
> primarily
> > > a proxy app. It sounds like
> > > you need Squid, not Apache.
>
> > Lee, if it's consensus you need, I concur with
> > Sridhar.  Your question becomes interesting if you
> > want to do both!
>
> OK, then let's make it interesting!  I want to do
> both.
>
> For a small computer school (teaching computers to
> mostly mature people
> who may never have touched a computer (teaching
> Windows, BTW, for the
> time being), I'd like to set up a server that will
> not be connected to
> the Internet, but will "simulate" the Internet so
> that we can connect to
> it from (Windows) workstations and do Internet
> things like surf the web,
> download (ftp) files, send and receive mail between
> workstations, and
> use IRC between workstations.
>
> For the browsing, I'm considering installing Squid,
> going online to surf
> and fill the cache, then switching to offline mode
> during class
> periods.  (I may actually bring the server home to
> fill the cache and
> take it back to the school (a church) for class --
> the church is
> reluctant to have a live connection to the
> Internet.)
>
> Since I know almost nothing about Squid, my first
> question was going to
> be do I need Apache.  From this post, I infer that I
> do not.
>
> I'm also considering installing a wiki (TWiki) which
> works on top of
> Apache for a "class notes" application, so in the
> end I do need both
> Squid and Apache.
>
> I assume that I can install both and make them work
> independently.
> Until I learn more, we will probably use the "raw"
> tcp/ip address to
> browse the TWiki (i.e., urls like
> http://192.168.0.8/v/Abiword).  I
> guess to do better I'd either have to set up a local
> DNS nameserver or
> put something in the hosts file of each workstation?
>
> Any other hints or suggestions?
>
> thanks,
> Randy Kramer
>
> > Want to buy your Pack or Services from