Well Grant,  theres a little known tale of a Linux user that once had an
affair with his machine because it never cheated like his other one.  Maybe
this is why it's hanging on shutdown (just can't let me go...?)?  Whatdya
think?   See real updated information below...
-------Here's your answer Grant----------
promiscuous mode
1) In a network, promiscuous mode allows a network device to intercept and
read each network packet that arrives in its entirety. This mode of operation
is sometimes given to a network snoop server that captures and saves all
packets for analysis (for example, for monitoring network usage).

2) In an Ethernet local area network (LAN), promiscuous mode is a mode of
operation in which every data packet transmitted can be received and read by
a network adapter. Promiscuous mode must be supported by each network adapter
as well as by the input/output driver in the host operating system.
Promiscuous mode is often used to monitor network activity.

Promiscuous mode is the opposite of non-promiscuous mode. When a data packet
is transmitted in non-promiscuous mode, all the LAN devices "hear" the data
to determine if the network address included in the data packet is theirs. If
it isn't, the data packet is passed onto the next LAN device until the device
with the correct network address is reached. That device then receives and
reads the data.
-------
By the way...I shut down the eth0 interface prior to shutting down the
machine and (lo and behold...) it didn't hang!  (Yippee!!)  Well, small
victories are the sweetest sometime.