I installed the mplayer-0.50-2mdk.i586.rpm using rpm -ivh <file> command, and
it seemed to install properly, finally.  (I don't know how to enable -gui
using rpm, though :( but I'll make do with terminal mode as long as I get to
watch my movies).

.avi files run beautifully. .asf files, however, are another story. Both the
audio and the video plays too fast.

I thought it might be that gcc2.96 issue/bug that the makers of mplayer were
talking about, so I replaced that with gcc 3.0.2, with the accompanying
dependencies.  Then I recompiled mplayer.  Nothing changed, though. It still
runs too fast.

My CPU is an AMD Athlon 750, and my video card is Nvidia TNT2 Vanta.