On Friday 23 November 2001 08:58, Robert MacLean wrote:
> i'm not sure. where do i check what directory it's installing to? do i
> have to specify it?

Well No. The makefile will automatically determine what directories it goes
in. The point I was trying to make (inarticulately) was that if you compile
in a windows partions the permissions and ownership bits of the files created
are not available to the system, which *might* be an issue. It's one less
thing to worry about if you do your compiling in a regular linux partition.

> how did you get counter-strike working? could you send me your wine
> config file?
> thats what i am trying to actually get running. thanx

Well it took a while. There is a good site at http://lhl.linuxgames.com/
There is a good HOWTO there.
The secret for me was to not use the wine supplied by Mandrake, nor to use
ANY of the packaged versions you see around including source tar.gz's (I
tried 3 none of them worked)
Go to the CVS and compile from there.
Instructions on how to do that are in the howto and on the winehq site.

They (strongly) recommend installing Half-Life/Counterstrike in a Linux
partion and doing the game install under wine. But I actually managed to
persuade it to use the existing windows installation.

Finally working out how to invoke Counterstrike was a challenge. I have to cd
to the Half life directory and then issue a command
wine -- hl.exe -console -game=cstrike

The game window starts in 640x480 and when you have selected a game it
switches to whatever resolution you have defined. You then have to change the
resolution of your X display with Ctl and 'plus' key
Another 'funny' is the game will not start until you have clicked out of the
window with the mouse, and the server dialogue will not start until you click
on the 'done' key in the setup window which still lingers in the corner of
the screen.

Once the game is running, it is great. The only issue I had was lag on the
sound, but there is a fix for that in the HOWTO.
I'll send my config to you separately.

If Transgaming have made all this easier, then trust me. It is worth $5
(I'm not sure I'd pay $5 every month though)

Derek