If your connection requires DHCP (I.E. a Cable modem or DSL line) for
auto configuration, but the ISP is NOT passing this information to you,
the connection script will leave you with an empty file.

Normally the scripts will automatically generate the resolv.conf file
whenever a dhcp based connection on eth0 is brought up.

-JMS