Most on here seem to prefer squid for proxy software.It's available in mdk
8.1 I know for sure,or from squid-cache.org. There's a config file under etc
directory..something like /etc/squid/config  :-)

ok..definitions.I'll do the best I can here,altho there are others that can
no doubt explain this better than I. A router is a piece of hardware that
goes between your hosts and your proxy server..acting as a traffic cop
would..A proxy server on the other hand takes what the router(or switch,or
hub) gives it and directs it on(usually to the internet).

Hope I've helped at least a little bit here.

Lee