On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Jose M. Sanchez wrote:

> KDE is part of the stock LM8.1 release.
Yep, I did know that.  This is the first time I left it out.

> If you haven't installed it you'll probably also be missing other tools
> you'll need to get your system to run properly. This may be why you are
> having such difficulty. If you haven't done a FULL installation all bets
> are off. Even then the installer omits about 50% of the RPM's.
Mandrake should make that clear.  As it is I always use expert mode to
ensure that home and data partitions are preserved and to try and ensure
that all needed RPMs are installed - always miss a few though.
On the last but one reinstall the script got into a loop which did not
allow a graceful exit (no hdlists found, after the partitioning stage)
then lost the partition table.  No disk when I tried to reinstall again.
17 Gbs lost, including hundreds of digital photos collected over the last
two years and six months programming.  Am now running from the secondary
disk, which is a lot smaller, hence the need to streamline the system.
This system will only boot from floppy as well because the default disk
is invisible.

> LM8.1 relies on having KDE around like it or not.
>
> I.E. the KDE Control Center sets up the Alsa-CTRL files used by the
> bootup scripts, etc.
Reluctant to reinstall.  Maybe a piecemeal installation of KDE
applications?  And would KDE Control Center resolve the access/permissions
issue?

Thanks once again Jose for taking the trouble to reply.
--
Len Lawrence @ The Thistle Foundation