On Thursday 29 November 2001 06:12, Mick wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Okay, I'm newly transposed from the Windoze world, and kinda lost but
> having fun here in Mandrake-Linux 8.1!
> I have a Plextor CD burner, Where is the software in Linux, what is it
> called, and how do I set it up?
> So far I have set up email, WWW, changed desktops, and quickly coming up to
> being nearly dangerous here in Linux! I just need a helpful hand with the
> CD burning stuff. Thanks.

There are lots of options (which is one of the problems)
First if all to check your CD writer is configured ok open a root terminal
and type

cdrecord -scanbus

If it comes back and says it found yoyr writer then you can go straight on
and choose your favourite burning software.
If it came back with an error then you probably need to disable devfs. Refer
to the mail archives for instructions.

On your Mandrake disc there are a whole bunch of CD burning apps. Here is my
take on them. It is purely personal others will have other opinions :-

Xconcd - Nice user friendly GUI easy to understand Problem is the current
version does not work. It crashes. So we must wait for the next version  :-(

XCDRoast - Not bad. OK for audio CD's. Not so good for data Works OK

ERoaster - Cant remember too much about this one.

GCombust - Not the most user friendly application, but it is the most
sophisticated. It assumes you know things like what a 'Joliet extension' is.

Gnome-Toaster- Possibly the most popular application. The on line manual is
quite good. I find it difficult to use for data CD's, but it is easy for audio

Kreatecd - This one is not on your CD. You can get it at
http://www.kreatecd.de/index.php Along with xoncd it is most like the windows
apps you are used to Audio support is very good, but I am having a problem
with data at the momement

So in typical Linux fashion. There is loads of choice but they all have
downsides. Just try them out and use the one you like best.

Derek