On 29 Nov 2001, Paul Rodríguez wrote:

> Hi, what's the best way to get a graphical program to start at boot as
> user?  I'd like to do this via the command line.  I know that adding the
> program to the last line of /etc/rc.local could do it, but as root.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Paul Rodríguez

So I would assume you boot into X. I don't do this and never have but I
can start a program when X starts which it shouldn't matter if I startx or
it starts at boot. I have an .xinitrc file in my home dir which I can add
whatever I want to start, here's an example of mine:
#!/bin/bash
exec /usr/bin/mozilla&
exec /usr/X11R6/bin/xscreensaver&
exec /usr/X11R6/bin/enable_X11_numlock&
exec /usr/X11R6/bin/blackbox
#exec gnome-session
#exec enlightenment

You can add exec whatever you want to run.The & means to run in the
background and it seems to be needed to run things because I guess w/o it
it would only run that program and not continue on to any others listed in
the .xinitrc. Another thing is that it seems the programs you want to run
must come before the execution of your window manager, eg. i use blackbox
as you can see and for mozilla to run it has to come b4 blackbox. Of
course using an .xintrc would assume that it would be
read by X when it starts. I'm not familiar with how X works from boot so I
don't know but I would think that it should read it or maybe there's
another file to add the apps to for starting at boot like a system wide
xinitrc or .xauthority

--
Chad Young