And why would it not be appropriate for the front end to upgrade the
kernel as well? That makes no sense. If you don't want to use a front
end to upgrade the kernel you can just opt not to and install your own.
Just because its "the kernel" does not mean it shouldn't be updated with
the same tools that everything else is updated with.