I just installed v8.1 on an older computer (older is pretty subjective nowdays
though - its still a 475mhz AMD K6-III with 192 megs of Ram) that belongs to
my stepson. It has a Crystal ISA soundcard, as well as a SIS 300/305 AGP 16m
video card.

After installation, we got:

No sound

No 3D-accelerated video

Are the Crystal and SIS supported? I tried to look up the SIS model at
Mandrakes home page, as well as at Xfree.org, but found nothing useful.

I ran "sndconfig" as root, and it would play a sound sample (Linus's voice,
right?) but when it got to the midi sample, it said there was a modprobe error
at the kernel level and wouldn't save anything or go on... ;-(

Can anyone help?

Thanks much! ;-)

--

                                                                       /\