Because I am using a satellite broadband connection that isn't supported
in Linux I have to use another computer on my lan as a gateway to the
Internet. All the settings are correct and the setup works most of the
time. Unfortunately, my system seems to forget the gateway on a regular
basis. The fix is to restart networking and everything is fine again.
When it has forgotten the gateway I can ping anywhere on the Internet
via ip address but it doesn't find the name servers. I can ping the name
servers and I have connectivity, it is like the system just forgets to
use them. I can use the name servers from any of the other PCs on the
network - just not my Linux box, until I restart networking. Has anyone
heard of a similar problem? This is a new one for me with Mandrake 8.1.
I didn't have this problem with 7.2 and essentially the same network
setup. Any suggestions about what might be flakey?

Traci