On Fri, 30 Nov 2001 15:36:40 -0500
"Vogel, Andrew (VOGELAP)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> How good an idea is it to do the 8.1 PowerPack UPGRADE and specify that it
> should NOT format /var and /home (those are where my webserver and some
> documents live).

 I you do an Upgrade none of your partition will be formated.

> IF I do the upgrade, does 8.1 automagically select/update the packages, or
> do I need to specify which packages it should update?

All packages that you now have installed, if they are also in 8.1 will be
auto updated.

I would suggest that you are least glance through Flat list during pkg selection
since there are many in 8.1 that were not available in 8.0.

> What about new hardware that I added since I installed 8.0? For example, I
> added an internal ATAPI ZIP drive since 8.0 was installed. Will 8.1 detect
> and upgrade the software for that?

To me the prudent course is to always run the installations as new installs
rather than upgrades, you can still keep your current /var and /home intact
and need not format them.
The reasoning behind such a course is that in most cases when going from
1 version to the next there are most times certain differences which if
done as a upgrade can cause unneccessary problems.
In the case of 8.0 to 8.1 this is the addition of devfs in 8.1 allowing the
kernel to handle all block devices, hds, cdrom, floppies, etc.

Devfs does have a problem with Zip drives in general and especially with the
ide Zip (these appears to have at last been fixed with the lastest kernel
and devfs rpms.)
I also have an ide Zip, if after installing 8.1 you should wish assistance
I can outline the procedure I used to get mine to work.

   Charles