Hi,

    When I try to boot LM8.1, I get these errors:

        mount: error 22 mounting reiserfs
        well, retrying read-only without any flags
        mount: error 22 mounting reiserfs
        pivotroot: pivot_root (/sysroot, /sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
        kernel panic: no init found. Trypassing init= option to kernel

    The kernel needn't panic, I'm doing a good enough job for the both
of us (:-).

    Luckily, I was about to do a full re-install of LM8.1, and had just
finished all the preliminary backups. The only unusual activities were
the copying of several very large (650MB) files from Linux to windoze. I
also made a LM8.1 Install disk in windoze, whose floppy properties
showed '0 bytes used', but when I looked in the folder itself, the files
appeared to be there.

    So I no longer have a Mandrake system. Windows still works (I'm in
it now *ugh*), and I wonder if it might have been involved with the
problem. Before I began the install (from HD, with the ISO's on the
windoze FAT partition), I left windoze to do a check of the LM8.1 ISO
md5sums in Linux, which was when the trouble struck.

    I decided to try the install anyway. DiskDrake complained that it
"couldn't read the partition table, continue at own risk" and showed
only a single 'hda' partition covering the whole 15GB disk. Not willing
to risk losing the windoze partition, I aborted the install.

    Can I repair whatever damage has been done ? I tried to boot with a
LM8.1
boot floppy, but with no success.

    If I try a full install with the dodgy partition table, is there a
chance I will lose my windoze files ? Is my /home partition gone (I was
intending to keep it intact during the install) ?

    As you can imagine, any help will be *greatly* appreciated.

thanks,

Charlie.