Ok, so I did try to update the kernel using mandrake-update.  Everything
went well (or so I thought) until I rebooted my machine.  A lot of things
were missing in the new kernel, such as mounting fat drives and networking.
Is there any way to restore these features?  Do I need to re-install or
venture into the wonderful world of kernel compilation (although that would
be a new domain to explore for me).  Fortunately, I downloaded the source of
the kernel too, so I can recompile if need be.

I'd like to be up to date on this, but I'm very newbie in the area of kernel
modules and kernel compilation.  I checked out kernel.org, but there are no
informations regarding the actual compiling part, just an archive of
kernels.

Any help on this topic would be appreciated.

Thanks!