This is known as an 'X respawning' problem.
It can occur for a variety of reasons. The most common is a misconfigured
video driver. To get around it get your friend to try doing this:-

Wait for it to pause to catch its breath, and then hit Ctl+Alt+F2 to get you
to another console window
Log in as username root, and then type 'init 3'  This will stop X trying to
start again.
You can then run  'XFdrake'  (without the quotes)if it is a video problem.
When you think you have it OK then type 'init 5' to restart X.
I think sometimes mouse driver problems can also cause respawning, in which
case run 'mousedrake'

HTH
Derek