I wish there were an 'easy' way to use wine.
The easiest ways are to use the crossover plugin, or the transgaming wine
implementation. They have been 'tweaked' for their particular purpose and
save you the grief. If you were to spend the time you could get wine doing
the same things yourself without paying a penny.
If you want to use wine yourself then I suggest you do not use the Mandrake
rpm, but instead get the wine CVS tree and read everything you find at
www.winehq.org
Wine does not need any windows or windows partition on the drive. It can use
applications already installed in existing windows partitions, but this is
not the preferred mode of operation. A pure linux environment is best.
So far I have managed to get wine to work playing Counterstrike (menus a bit
funny but game play OK), and Quicken (unusably slow and mouse never quite
points where you want it)