On Saturday 08 December 2001 02:58 pm, you wrote:

> When I ping the linux from windows I get an ok message (100% ok, 0%
> dropped) but when I ping from linux it keeps on pinging forever. Does
> this mean that only one of my machines is misconfigured, and if this is
> the case, wich one?

That's correct. Unix ping will ping forever unless you stop it. Hit CTRL-C to
stop it, and it will then clean up the program for you. Windows ping will
ping 3 times and then stop.

> If I want only one of them to read/write on the other, could I live with
> this or do I have to fix it?

If you want read/write between them, the best solution is probably Samba.
Don't get discouraged, getting Samba running can be a pain, it's a complex
set of programs. The best crash course on samba I've figured out is to just
install the samba rpms then work your way through the diagnosis file, which
is online at:

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/DIAGNOSIS.html

You will fail the later tests, samba doesn't run "out of the box"
unfortunately. But when you do fail, you'll have an idea of what you need to
troubleshoot. I've set up samba a few times, and I'm sure others here have as
well. So you can always post here with problems.

Matt