I recently found out that when using lilo, you need to always update it,
even if it is already pointing to the right kernel image.  Run
'/sbin/lilo -v' after every kernel install, upgrade or compile if you
are using lilo.  Even though it may already be pointing to the right
words, it needs to update where on the boot sector that file is.

-Paul Rodríguez

i always read a section in kernel upgrading that you have to update your lilo
configuration so it will be pointing to the new kernel. you should also try to keep an
entry of the old kernel so that if the new kernel stinks you can boot using the old.