On Thu, 13 Dec 2001 00:21:43 +0000
Stephen Kitchener <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> frantically pecked out this message:::::

> Hi,
>
> I have this error "Sound server fatal Error, CPU overload aborting", inside a
> KDE error box. from then on there is no system sound,  ie sounds associated
> with actions etc. But the sound card still works and so does the sound from
> the TV card. I think this is arts that is failing.
>
> I did read that it was a KDE problem, but would like to know if others have
> seen this and if there is an error.
>
> The system that I get this on has had the nodevfs option enabled and also the
> usb fix. The system is a dual 400 MHz machine, so I don't really think that
> the system's CPU is overloaded, and that there is another fault.
>
> This error doesn't always happen, but when It does, the machine doesn't
> shutdown fully and I have to press reset. At least that's what I have
> observed.
>
> Any help appreciated.
> --
> Stephen Kitchener

Steve,

this is going to sound weird and almost totally unrelated, but change ownership of
this file:

        /tmp/mcop-$USERNAME  (where $USERNAME substitue your login name)

When I first installed Mandrake 8.1 on my workstation at work I was having the same
exact trouble and that took care of it. For some reason one day it gave me an error
that told me the ownership of that file wasn't correct and because of that the sound
couldn't/wouldn't work correctly. Made that change and the sound works flawlessly now.
--
daRcmaTTeR

Registered Linux User 182496
Mandrake 8.1
 11:05pm  up 4 days,  1:00,  2 users,  load average: 0.35, 0.21, 0.26