On Fri, 2001-12-14 at 02:28, Paul Rodríguez wrote:
> How come I have *both* eth0 and ppp apparently running when I type
> ifconfig?
>
> I connect to the internet via adsl.

Some types of DSL require ppp (specifically, 'pppoe', or Point-to-Point
Protocol Over Ethernet) to connect and authenticate with the ISP. Yours
is probably one.

Dave

--
-- Male cadavers are incapable of yielding testimony.
-- Individuals who make their abode in vitreous edifices would be well
advised
        to refrain from catapulting projectiles.
-- Neophyte's serendipity.
-- Exclusive dedication to necessitious chores without interludes of
hedonistic
        diversion renders John a hebetudinous fellow.
-- A revolving concretion of earthy or mineral matter accumulates no
congeries
        of small, green bryophytic plant.
-- Abstention from any aleatory undertaking precludes a potential
escallation
        of a lucrative nature.
-- Missiles of ligneous or osteal consistency have the potential of
fracturing
        osseous structure, but appellations will eternally remain innocuous.