don't know about your XP problem, but I imagine lilo or grub would work
fine.

as for editing lilo, you just open /etc/lilo.conf in an editor and edit
away..

you could try:

mcedit /etc/lilo.conf

or

pico /etc/lilo.conf

you could even use vi, but unless you know it, don't even try.

just remember that to update lilo afterwards, type: lilo
at the prompt and it will tell you of any syntax errors and write the
changes
to the mbr.

good luck.

rgds