Good news ! - I remember some people here on the list (or was it the
"expert"-one ?) having big-time trouble with their Trident chipsets. It
almost drove me nuts as well ! - The problem manifested itself only
occasionally : the mouse-pointer got an offset, and couldn't be moved to
the left rim of the screen, but stopped dead about 30 pixels from it.
Furthermore, when clicking something, I had to point the cursor about
those 30 pixels to the RIGHT of focus. Only cure was to reboot - and
that's not something we linuxers like ;-)

Well, I looked around on the net and found the answer to all my troubles
on the S.u.S.E. - mailing list :

http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/en/html/wessels_trident_mouse.html

The solution is surprisingly simple : pass the option "sw_cursor" to
CF86Config !

In my case, only thing I had to do was to uncomment the line Option
"sw_cursor" bu removing the #-mark.

This being a "newbie"-list, I'll show how "I did it my way" :

1. Open a console-window
2. type : su
3. enter your root-password
4. open "Midnight Commander" by issuing the command : mc
5. highlight the file /etc/X11/XF86Config and press <F4> to edit it
6. search for the entry below ( or something very similar ) :

# **********************************************************************
# Graphics device section
# **********************************************************************

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Generic VGA"
    Chipset   "generic"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Trident CyberBlade (generic)"
    VendorName  "Unknown"
    BoardName   "Unknown"
#   Chipset     "CyberBlade"
#   VideoRam    4096
#   Clock lines

    # Uncomment following option if you see a big white block
    # instead of the cursor!
      Option      "sw_cursor"
      Option      "power_saver"
EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Screen sections

7. either remove the #-mark in front of Option "sw_cursor" or simply add
the line
8. save the file by pressing <F2>
9. exit "Midnight Commander" by pressing <F10>
10. back in the console-window, type exit , and you are done
11. restart the X-server or reboot.

That's all, folks. And credit for this advice to the S.u.S.E. - people !

Kaj Haulrich