On Sunday 16 December 2001 21:31, you wrote:
>   I've got Mandrake 8.0 on my system right now (but I'm writing this from
> Windows, for reasons that will be made clear). My system, an Athlon 950
> from Gateway, came with 128 Megs of RAM. Everything installed and ran fine.
> So, of course, I had to change things.
>   I added 256 Megs of RAM. It's not the same overall dimensions as the OEM
> one, but they both are SDRAM and 133 Mhz, so they should be fine. And, they
> work fine under Windows ME. But when I try to boot back into Linux (using
> LILO), it tries to start up the Xwindows, and then boots back to a command
> prompt, asking for a logon. Before I can even do that, I start seeing a
> series of error messages, apparently having something to do with the USB
> support. Since this worked fine with 128 Megs, I think that this isn't the
> problem, but that the memory is.
>   So: does Mandrake not like changing the installed memory after you've got
> a system up and running? Should I boot from the boot disk and add a
> parameter telling it of the new amount of RAM? (That would be 'Linux
> append="mem=384", right?) Or should I just reinstall?
>   Thanks!
> Larry Varney
> Cold Spring, KY
> http://w3.one.net/~lvarney
First thing I would do is use Tom Brinkmans' trick and take the new ram and
very gently use an eraser to clean the contacts and put it back in, and try
again. Linux is very good about seeing new ram unless it is defective.
Windows will tell you you have all that ram when it may not be working
correctly.  If after cleaning and you boot up again and don't see the correct
ram identified on the screen just before it goes to the gui or if you have it
set on  single user mode and it goes to the blocky penguin screen, the ram is
shown there, then try appending the correct amount of ram to lilo. If that
doesn't work try using memtest86 which is on the 8.1 download CDs .  HTH
--
Dennis M. registered linux user # 180842