At 05:07 PM 12/21/2001 -0900, you wrote:
>On Fri, 2001-12-21 at 16:37, Julian Opificius wrote:
>> Thanks for the input, Civileme.
>>
>> Where would I put the public access directory? Under /home, say
>> /home/public, or is there some other traditional place?
>> If I do this, presumably I could put /home on a separate /dev/hda'n'
>> partition, or, if Santa brings me the new 80G HD I asked for,  make it
>> /dev/hdb. Is this reasonable thinking?
>>
>> j.
>> ====================

Yep, this is true.  We have 3 separate drives in our server, which we set up:

hda -- ext2 -- 6.4 GB IDE -- system disk (/usr,/, /var, /tmp)
hdb -- reiserfs -- 20 GB IDE -- user data drive (/home)
hdd -- reiserfs -- 20 GB IDE -- backup drive, iso downloads (/backup)

Primary reason we went with reiserfs is because fsck's of 20 GB partitions
take a while if the system crashes, and we typically have many very small
files, as opposed to very few large ones.

Michael

--
Michael Viron
Registered Linux User #81978