Bill,

Ghost would be my choice for this, but for that in this situation you would
need:

- Ghost (I guess that's obvious)
- A LAN connection for your laptop
- Another machine on the same LAN with enough space on its disk(s) to
accomodate your data.

Ghost can run across the LAN, so using this setup you could back up the whole
physical drive on your laptop (all partitions at once), then bring them back
to the new drive and even adjust the partition sizes as you go.

Ghost will span disks if necessary, so you don't need all the space in one
place.  There are of course a few limitations:

1. I have done this with FAT32, FAT16, NTFS and EXT2 partitions, but I don't
know whether Ghost can handle Reiser, Ext3 etc.  If you have these, check
first.

2. I think Ghost is more limited in what it can write to, than what it can
read from.  Running Ghost you are in a DOS environment, so I think that
limits the options for writing your image file to a FAT partition.  So, the
machine to which you are writing your backup will probably need to be of the
M$ persuasion.

Good luck!
/Brian