On Sun, 23 Dec 2001 20:53:30 -0500
Dennis Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> scribbled in frustration:

> I use the term
> # tar -xvzf gobbledegook.123_tar.gz.
> and the -xvzf seems to uncompress it and untar it all at once. It's
> magic. Ha! so then when it lists out a whole bunch of files you can go
> back to the top of the list and see what file it is originated in,
> probably something like; #  gobbledegook.123   .  You can the change
> directory to that directory by :  #  cd gobbledegook.123 and at the next
> return and prompt type ./configure   A whole bunch of stuff starts
> poping up.  (These are the only technical terms I can deal with so bear
> with me).   Once it gets back to the prompt you type in "make" and a
> whole bunch more stuff starts poping up on the screen. Once again back
> to the prompt and type in "make install" and more stuff pops up on the
==========================
Just a quick note (if I may butt in briefly):
"make install" must be done as root user, so:
su
password
first; then do the "make install"

Sorry for the interupt,
Mike

--
"Alcohol is the anesthesia by which we endure the operation of life."
                -- George Bernard Shaw